Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Nothing's Fair if you're 9

Note: I have no financial interest in any books referenced

One of the books that helped me the most in working with kids was Yardsticks by Chip Wood. Yes that's really the author's name.

This book explains the developmental markers of children ages 4 to 14. For example five year olds fall out of their chairs backwards; six year olds fall sideways. Who knew?

Eight year olds are enthusiastic but have no sense of their own limits and nine year olds think nothing is fair. ( God bless 4th grade teachers).

I would recommend buying the physical copy of this book. I found it helpful when working with kids to read the part that pertained to their age aloud while they looked on with me. A simple question like, "Does that apply to you?" is a good way to open a conversation.

The book is easy to understand, has clear suggestions, descriptions and charts. If you don't buy any other book, I recommend that you buy this one.



1 comment:

  1. It is the FIRST & BEST recommendation that you gave me on a random day we sat to chat in your office. I cannot thank you enough because it helped me more than anyone can imagine. It truly opened up my mind to the characteristic/personality that come with the approximate age. So on point!

    ReplyDelete