Friday, November 10, 2017

WHERE'S THE BOOK!?

Early in my first year as principal of a K-5 school we hosted a Back to School kickoff evening for families and teachers to mingle. I was on the main playground when the father of an incoming kinder student approached me. He was thin, tall and balding with intense eyes. "Where's the Book?" He demanded. "What book?" I asked. "The book that tells me everything I need to understand about how to help him in school."

I showed him the school handbook. "Not that" he said.
"I want the book that explains school. How it works. What I can do."

Of course I didn't have that book so he stalked off. His child was not easy to deal with for six years and neither was he. I was relieved when they moved on to middle school.

Fast forward twenty one years. I successfully ran the school for 15 years and very happily retired.

But that Dad was right. There should be a resource to help parents understand what's involved in student learning. There are books like What To Expect in Kindergarten etc., and they're helpful.
More information , however, is needed.

Like -
Understanding children's developmental stages
Multiple Intelligence theory and how students learn
Practical tips to help students read,write and tackle math
Win win conferencing with teachers
Homework help  without screaming

That's what I'm going to try to do here.

Hope it helps.



📘📙📚📗📖📑🔖📕📖📖📖📖📖📖

No comments:

Post a Comment